Restoration of the House

In 1999-2000, the City of Camarillo restored the exterior and foundation of the Camarillo House, including seismic retrofit upgrades, the installation of exterior lighting, and a ranch style fence around the perimeter of the property, a new roof, and utilities. This renovation also included removing portions of the house that were not part of the original design.

The Camarillo Ranch Foundation has restored the interior of the Camarillo House with generous community support. This work included determining original finishes of individual rooms and matching each style as closely as possible. The Foundation also installed a new electrical system, a fire sprinkler system and alarm system, new driveways, and new parking areas. Public restrooms, as well as the conversion of a portion of the tack room to an office and gift shop as also completed.

New landscaping included formal gardens and special public use areas within the historic context of the remaining landscape elements. The huge trees on the property are also assessed for their health and appropriate trimming took place. Three of these trees, all planted before 1900, are on the California Historic Tree Registry.

The City of Camarillo along with the Camarillo Ranch Foundation completed the $1.5 million restoration of the property by 2001 as a special events center as well as a cultural and educational facility. The grand reopening of the Camarillo House took place during the 2001 holiday season. Still to be completed will be the 1905 Mule Barn Restoration Project as a historic exhibit space and special event center.